Do you ever start dinner and wish you had some homemade refried beans to go with it but don't have the hours it takes to make them? This is my mock version to go with Sunny's spanish rice (which we make A LOT!) and it only takes a minute to throw together (Especially if I already have onion diced for the rice or if I use dehydrated onions which I love to use when my trip to the cannery is not so long overdue)
1-2Tbsp. oil
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin (or less to taste depending on how much you like it. It is one of my top 5 favorite ingredients so if you don't love it I would put a little less in.)
salt to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp.)
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
shredded cheese to top it off with
Saute onion in oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onion is translucent. (This is about all the cooking it will get so cook it well, and not too hot so you don't have crunchy onions in your beans!) Add garlic and seasonings and cook a minute longer. Add beans and let cook in seasoning and oil to fry up a bit (about 5 minutes stirring every once and a while). Mash beans with a potato masher and add water as needed to make smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed. If you really want to go for a smooth texture use an immersion blender (you know what I am talking about, right?) to blend the beans all up. Top with cheese and there you have it- mock homemade refried beans.
Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have never had homemade refried beans... is that weird? Now I want some!!
They are yummy!
I have been looking for the perfect recipe because mine never turn out. Thank you! Thank you!!
Post a Comment