Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pioneer Bread

I love the other whole wheat recipe I posted a long time ago, but this one is awesome too. It's really good, and super easy. I made this the day I had Kaden - so you know it has to be easy if a pregnant woman having contractions is making it.

1 (0.25 oz) pkg. yeast
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup hot milk (not boiling)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup cold milk
1 egg, beaten (I always use 2 egg whites)
5 1/2 cups whole wheat four

In a small bowl mix together yeast, sugar, and warm water. Set aside and let rise until foamy. In a large bowl combine hot milk, salt, molasses, and butter until dissolved. Add the cold milk, beaten egg, and yeast mixture. Stir. Add flour and stir until well blended. Put into two well-greased loaf pans. Let rise about one hour. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes. Best when served warm.

~A couple notes: This isn't going to be as thick as you might think it should be - that's okay. And make sure you let it rise until it has a rounded top (but don't go overboard or it will fall - I know from experience). This may take much longer than an hour, or less than an hour depending on the temp and humidity in your home. If I'm having problems getting it to rise, I turn on the oven to 200, let it warm up then shut it off. Put your dough in the warm oven and keep an eye on it. If it starts to cook you may need to adjust the baking time.

One last tip is never use metal with yeast. It's supposed to react with the yeast and it won't rise as well, although I've never had a problem.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I love homemade bread. We love the other recipe you posted for whole wheat bread and made it every other day for a few months while David was out of work. We even ground our own wheat. It was awesome and we loved it. I haven't made it recently but am excited to try this recipe. Thanks Sunny

sunny said...

Wow - you ground your own wheat? What kind of machine do you use? I always buy the whole wheat flour from the store!

Shannon said...

Yeah, it didn't take us very long to run out of wheat flour. And we had some wheat and had gotten a wheat grinder for Christmas a few years back. I couldn't believe, we only had a big ziplock bag full of wheat and it lasted us 3 months. I don't know if that was a miracle or a little bit of wheat really does go that far. Maybe both. It seems so much more convenient to store wheat than flour (plus it lasts longer).

sunny said...

Huh, interesting. -about it giving you so much wheat flour from just what you had. So, seriously - what kind of wheat grinder do you have?