Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Summer Cupcakes

I was going to take a picture of my finished result with these cupcakes, but the cupcakes themselves had a rather adventurous life in the oven and came out tasty, but ugly. So no photo shoot tonight!

I have been craving fancy cupcakes all day, but didn't have the time or energy to make anything complicated or time-consuming. After a few hours of pondering, I came up with this simple-but-fancy compromise. It does take two ingredients (whipping cream and raspberry yogurt) that may not be in your fridge, but they're very quick and easy to make up.

Yellow cupcakes with lemon-raspberry whipped cream

A batch of simple yellow or white cupcakes - I just used yellow cake mix from a box.

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup raspberry yogurt (no chunks)
2 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla
1/4-1/2 cup sugar (to taste)

Pour cream and sugar into a stand mixer or bowl, if you plan to use a hand beater. Combine yogurt, lemon juice, and vanilla, stirring with a fork or spoon until blended (it doesn't take long). Add to cream. Mix, on high, until consistency is that of whipped cream (in my Kitchenaid it took about 6-8 minutes, I think). When cupcakes are completely cool, generously frost with whipped cream mixture. Enjoy!

No comments: